February 6, 2012

Pin It

I am so in love with these darn chocolate lava cookies! What is it about a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie stuffed with decadent, rich, melted chocolate that makes it so irresistible?? Especially when topped with vanilla ice cream. These are one of Kev’s favorite homemade treats, and he usually asks me to make them at least once a week. They are so simple to whip up, and such a treat! Let’s make some right now :)

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

All you really need for these fabulous cookies is your favorite cookie dough and a bag of chocolate chips. My favorite cookie dough just happens to be Picky Palate’s, and it works perfectly for this recipe, but you could just as easily use a store-bought mix or even refrigerated cookie dough. Slice and bake cookie dough would be so simple here! But my heart will always belong to Picky Palate’s cookie dough. It absolutely can’t be beat in flavor and chewiness!

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Since these cookies are absolutely gushing with delicious rich chocolate, my favorite chocolate chips for this recipe are the Hersey’s Milk Chocolate chips. I did a side by side taste test with these and a few of the other milk chocolate chips available in my grocery store, and these by far had the most prominent rich chocolate flavor. Next time you’re at the store, grab a couple of bags and have a chocolate chip taste testing of your own! They’re all good, so you definitely won’t have a problem using them up — you really can’t go wrong with milk chocolate :)

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Now let’s make some chocolate lava cookies! Using half the cookie dough, grab a 1.5-2 tbsp scoop of dough (I used a Pampered Chef Medium Scoop for this) and flatten it out a bit.

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Place the flattened cookie dough in the bottom of a well-greased standard sized muffin tin. Now depending on how much cookie dough you eat (in my case, I think it’s an abnormally high amount), you’ll have enough for 10 or 11 cookies. I start with 10, and add the 11th later if I have enough dough leftover.

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Now for our gooey, rich milk chocolate filling. Place 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips in a Ziploc bag, and seal shut.

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Cut a small tip off the Ziploc bag and layer over the cookies. If you have any leftover chocolate, save it — I’ll show you what to do with it in a minute.

Heaven help me.

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Scoop and flatten the remaining dough, and place on top of your lava cookies.

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

If you’ve got enough dough leftover, you can make one more cookie… or eat it as is! Your choice! :)

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Bake these in a 350 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are just browned. As soon as they come out of the oven, you may want to run a knife around the edges to make for easy removing later. Cool completely before removing from the tin, running a knife around the edge to help loosen.

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Now here’s how I like my cookies. Cooled, soft, and so perfectly chewy. I could eat about a million and a half of these.

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

But here’s how Kevin likes his cookies.

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Warmed in the microwave for 10 seconds, topped with vanilla ice cream, and drizzled with chocolate sauce. You can use any leftover melted chocolate here!

Mama mia.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups (210 grams) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 (11.5 oz) bag milk chocolate chips (I prefer Hersheys)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a standard size muffin tin with cooking spray. Place 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a Ziploc bag, and seal shut. Lay the Ziploc bag flat in the microwave, spreading out the chocolate chips in a single layer. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove bag and flip, microwaving for an additional 10-15 seconds until all the chips are softened. Set aside to cool.

2. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to the wet ingredients and beat on low speed until just combined. Add the remaining chocolate chips (1 cup) and stir to combine.

3. Using half the cookie dough, scoop 1.5-2 tbsp of dough, flatten it out a bit, and place in the bottom of the muffin tin. Repeat for a total of 10 cookies. Cut a small tip in the corner of the Ziploc bag, and gently squeeze a layer of chocolate over the cookie. Scoop and flatten the remaining dough and place on top of the chocolate layer. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are just browned. As soon as they come out of the oven, run a knife around the edges to make for easy removing later. Cool completely before removing from the muffin tin, running a knife around the edge to help loosen.

These are good as mini muffins, too! Try baking at 350 for 9 mins. Enjoy!

Tags: ,

Alison February 18, 2012 at 11:17 pm

This looks amazing! However, I’d like to recommend melting that chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave. Plastic bags leach plastics into food, especially anything acidic or fatty (chocolate). Nobody wants to eat plastic, especially since it also makes it more likely that those scrumptious goodies will stick firmly to your middle.
I can’t wait to give these a try!

Amber February 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I am making this for a German club bake sale, I predict fast sales

Renee February 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm

This is killing me. Why am I not eating this right this minute?

Ieasha Akins February 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Hey Amanda I tried these for my sister and her family and they absolutely loved it (so did I) !! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

danielle February 25, 2012 at 10:41 am

These look awesome! I wanted to let you know that I featured these on my “What I Bookmarked This Week” post today – stop by and see!

Macaroni and Cheesecake March 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I recently made these for Valentine’s and they were great! They were so fun for something different. I am posting about them today (sourcing you of course) hope that is alright! Thanks for the great recipes!:)

lauren March 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Has anybody made these successfully yet? Just curious what the results were….my batter was a little runny and I didn’t have enough to make 10. Had to rescoop some back in to cover the tops of some. They are baking now so I’m nervous….

Connie March 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Oh my! Even this chocoholic might OD with the extra filling….maybe, we’ll never know unless I try, right? :)

Lisa @ A Little Slice of Life March 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Oh I wish I read this before I made chocolate chip cookies yesterday. I think next time these are a must try. So simple.

Sue March 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Your pictures are fantastic! Made my mouth water just looking. I think I will try them with a few of the filling suggestions like nutella, hot fudge, and the chocolate chips. They all sound so good!

Max March 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’m not a chocolate chip cookie person, but these look DROOLINGLY DELICIOUS!!!

Lacy @ NYCityEats March 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Oh my gawddd! These look super yummy!! So going to try these out. I can already tell this recipe is going to be a winner!!

Becky March 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

My jaw just dropped! These are probably the best looking cookies I’ve ever seen! Please link up to Foodie Friday!

liaM March 28, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I just made them…how long do I have to wait to eat them?!!!! BTW, I LOVE your photos, I wish you could have photographed my pistachio and chocolate macaroons!!

liaM March 28, 2012 at 5:20 pm

UPDATE: Couldn’t wait any longer… we all loved them, and they came out perfect, just like your pictures…got exactly 12, 3 for each one of us.

Ansh April 4, 2012 at 11:26 am

These were so good. I tried them and they are super easy to make. I had to get my hands a little dirty and mix cause the batter was thick. Totally loved it in the cookie version…will try it in the muffin version real soon. Love! Love! Love!

MikeyP May 24, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Wow that looks soo yummy, I know what Im gonna go do, thanks btw I have been looking for this recipe here forever :)

Carol Anthon June 6, 2012 at 11:25 am

These are a hit in our home!!!! I use nuttella in the center… oh my goodness
The only thing I will do different next time is double the recipt!!! 12 is not enough

Molten Chocolate June 22, 2012 at 12:51 am

Hey
I tried to make this but the cookies get overdone at the top and remain completely gooey at the bottom. Any suggestions?

Emily November 11, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I had the opposite problem. By the time mine were done on top, the chocolate in the middle had completely baked in–no gooey inside–and the bottoms were overdone. (Baked in a preheated 350 oven for 15 minutes.) If I try it again, I’ll probably leave them underdone.

Annamaria Settanni McDonald June 27, 2012 at 5:13 am

You are amazing and so bad at the same time! There is no way to resist making these or any of your decadent treats. My husband too loves anything Ala Mode! Thank you for sharing all your recipes! This is a perfect recipe to kill anyone with kindness! =)

Warmest Regards,
Annamaria

Terry Jackson July 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Amanda, thanks so much for the recipe. I cant wait to try this out on my large family of about 12-15 people at our traditional Sunday dinner. I have two questions.
1. I like to do a lot prepping first so I was wondering if I made the cookie dough 1-2 days in advance what could I do to store it and make sure it is still moist and fresh when its time to bake?
2. I notice you used a small muffin pan is it possible I could use a larger pan to produce bigger lava cookies? And would this mess up the cooking time?
Thanks in advance

Jenni K July 13, 2012 at 7:47 am

Cookies looks yummy! Time to give them a try. Love the details and pictures you have put up with each step.

Elin August 3, 2012 at 3:33 am

Holy cannoli. These look insanely good! Me and My sitter is sooooo going to bake these tomorrow!!

Bye, Hejdå / Sweden

Whitney August 6, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I love this recipe!! I nominated y’all for the One Lovely Blog Award http://appletondesserts.com/2012/08/05/one-lovely-blog-award/

m-bakes August 11, 2012 at 2:34 am

I made this today but when i cut it open, there was no lava, never the, less it tastes amazing, but do you know why that happened and how to not let it happen again, would really appreciate it <3

fazmina August 12, 2012 at 7:27 am

can u use frosting instead of ice cream?

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! September 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm

This. is. awesome.!!

Keelin October 4, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I just made these! This is the best cookie recipe I have tried yet! Definitely a keeper for me. I haven’t even tried it with the ice cream yet. That’s next!
Thank you!

Cynthia October 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

absolute genius!!

Kacy Snyder December 11, 2012 at 12:05 am

Has anyone tried making this with muffin liners in the muffin pan instead of greasing?

gina January 8, 2013 at 9:23 pm

These did not turn out well for me. I am a seasoned baker and rarely have milk chocolate chips on hand and was searching for the right recipe to use them. This looked great. But i didn’t get the lava effect. Just a clump of chocolate in the middle. Maybe i should have added chocolate in the center extra???

alex November 20, 2013 at 10:23 am

hello – these look amazing! question – i want to make these for a Christmas party i am hosting. any chance you think its okay to assemble them and stick in fridge and then bake when ready? thx!

Elaine December 2, 2013 at 11:56 am

Oh WOW! I’ve got a sweet tooth out of this World! This is a quick and easy treat for kids and adults the same! Wonderful!

Mia January 7, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Wow looks so delicious!! I am planning to make this but would want just one serving at a time, for those emergency sweet cravings.. Would it be alright to refrigerate or freeze the cookie and then bake one at a time while still frozen?

Ali January 9, 2014 at 11:36 am

Hi!
These look delish.
Do you think I can make them in ramekins and serve them in the ramekins? Will the cooking time be the same?
Ali

Cashone March 25, 2014 at 3:01 am

oh!! its looking so delicious. Choco Chips cookies its so simple to prepare and easy to get it in your plate in less time. Thanks a lot to share this.

Corina April 30, 2014 at 1:18 pm

These look amazing – really gloriously sinful but perfect for a treat.

Karlijn July 31, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I’ve tried these and they were amazing! I loooved the gooey choclate, delicious! My dough was pretty fluid, not really like dough but more like batter, does anyone know what I can do about that? In a muffin tin it’s no problem but on a baking sheet it flows everywhere. Thank you

aimee fauci October 11, 2014 at 8:50 am

Loving this! Had to pin and Stumble!