I’ve been making this chocolate cake recipe for over 10 years. It is honestly the BEST chocolate cake recipe ever! It’s always requested at every birthday party, holiday, and family get-together. Everyone always asks for the recipe! If you’re looking for the best cake recipes, put this at the top of your must-try list!!
This chocolate cake recipe is really the best, most decadent chocolate cake I’ve ever made. I know there are other cake recipes out there that claim to be the best. Folks, let me tell you, I’ve tried them. And I can still assure you that this one — no really — THIS one…. This chocolate cake recipe is the best.
Yes, it starts with a cake mix. Just try it. Just once. You’ll be convinced. Just like I was!
Best Chocolate Cake Ingredients
Here are your ingredients for this chocolate cake recipe.
Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
The best part about this chocolate cake recipe is that it’s SO easy! All you do is dump everything (except the chocolate chips) into a very large bowl, then mix well with a beater. The batter will be very thick!
Then stir in 2 cups of chocolate chips into the batter — pictured here are regular sized chocolate chips. I prefer the mini ones for this chocolate cake, but Kevin prefers the regular size. Try it with both and see which ones you like!
Next, spread the chocolate cake batter into your cake pan of choice.
Chocolate Cake Baking Pans and Times
I like to bake my chocolate cake in two, 9-inch pie pans. But this batter is very versatile and you can definitely use it to make any kind of cake — sheet cake, cupcakes, bundt cake, etc. It tells you the cooking times for specific cakes on the back of the cake mix box. I use that as a guide.
I usually end up baking my two, 9-inch pie pans for 45 mins. You definitely don’t want to overbake or it won’t be moist. Do the toothpick check, but remember, you may get some of the chocolate from the melted chips on your toothpick so don’t let that fool you.
Oh man… It’s so hard to not just rip into this chocolate cake right now while it’s warm and fresh out of the oven… But wait! Let it cool first and let’s put some frosting on this ridiculous chocolate cake.
The Best Buttercream Frosting Recipe for Chocolate Cake
While it’s cooling, we’ll make The Best Buttercream Frosting Ever.
Here are the ingredients for the best buttercream frosting recipe for this chocolate cake.
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar slowly and continue beating until well blended. Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream. Beat on low speed until moistened. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.
After your chocolate cake has cooled completely it’s time to frost it!
Yes, I conveniently did not take a picture of the finished chocolate cake. But that is because I am terrible at icing cakes and really, no one would want to see that anyway. But I will leave you with this…
This rather large piece of chocolate cake did not last very long. Hope you enjoy this best chocolate cake recipe ever!!!Print
The best, easiest chocolate cake recipe ever!
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 small box Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2–5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (as needed)
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a very large bowl, mix together everything except chocolate chips. Batter will be thick. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into cake pan of choice (I normally use two 9-inch round pans). For cooking time, I use the cooking times on the back of the cake box as a guide. Then I do the toothpick check, and if it’s not done, I check on it every 5 mins after that. It usually takes around 45 mins for two, 9-inch round pans.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue beating until well blended. Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream. Blend on low speed until just combined. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy. Add more whipping cream 1 tablespoon at a time for desired consistency.
Keywords: cake recipes, chocolate cake recipe, easy cake recipes, best chocolate cake recipe, moist chocolate cake recipe