I love pasta. And noodles. And sauces. And cheese. And all of them mixed together. I could eat pasta every single day for the rest of my life. And be very, very happy.
I love this classic meal. It’s juicy, tender chicken breasts, lightly breaded in Parmesan cheese, golden fried, then topped with marinara sauce and soft, melty, mozzarella cheese. All served on a bed of pasta. And it’s delicious!
This recipe looks like it’s got a lot of ingredients, but most of it is stuff you’ve probably got in your pantry already.
Here’s what you’ll need for the breading. Flour, grated parmesan cheese, salt and steak seasoning (you can also just use pepper).
Whisk all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
Now get your chicken… BTW, have you seen this chicken?? Each breast is individually wrapped, so you can use however many you need and save the rest for later.
The best part is that they’re already pounded all nice, flat, and even.
Coat both sides of the chicken with the breading.
And then set it aside for a sec while we make…
The Marinara Sauce!
Begin melting 2 tbsp of butter in a medium sized sauce pan over medium to medium low heat. Add in 3-4 cloves minced garlic, stirring constantly.
My garlic was on steroids tonight.
When the garlic is golden and soft, pour in the tomatoes and add in the sugar. Increase heat to medium-high, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat back to medium-low, cover and continue simmering for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce has simmered, stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. I used 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Cover and simmer for an additional 3 minutes, then lower heat and keep sauce warm until we’re ready for it.
While your sauce is simmering, let’s go ahead and start the noodles. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add 1 tbsp of salt. Then add your favorite pasta. Tonight I used angel hair pasta. But you could also use spaghetti or linguine.
Our sauce is simmering, our noodles are boiling, what are we missing?? Oh yes!! The perfectly Parmesany breaded chicken. This is going to be good.
Begin heating 2 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it is nice, hot, melted and brown.
Add your chicken breasts and cook 4 to 5 minutes each side until they are golden.
While the chicken is cooking you can chiffonade your basil and chop up the parsley for the sauce! To chiffonade basil, stack up 6-8 leaves, roll them tightly and thinly slice.
For parsley, you could just use a knife and chop it up, but I find it much easier to use my Pampered Chef chopper. It does the job for me. :)
You’ll want to keep chopping the parsley until you have 1 tbsp to add to the sauce, plus a little more for garnishing the chicken.
As soon as your chicken is done, remove to a plate, top with a little sauce and then sprinkle on mozzarella cheese.
You know what just occurred to me just now as I’m typing this? I didn’t top the chicken with sauce tonight.
You know what? It still tasted amazing. lol. Oh well! So top it, or don’t top it with sauce, but either way you want to top it with cheese immediately so it’ll start getting melty. Then sprinkle on a little parsley.
With the rest of the parsley and basil, throw it in the sauce, stir together, and serve over noodles placed next to the chicken. Top everything with an abundance of Parmesan cheese. For this is Chicken Parmigiana.
Then prepare to be worshiped.
For at least the rest of the evening.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tbsp steak seasoning
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb noodles - angel hair, spaghetti, linguine, etc
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 basil leaves, chiffonaded
- 1-2 tbsp fresh, finely chopped parsley, divided
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Layer chicken between wax paper and pound breasts to even thickness. Whisk together flour, parmesan cheese, salt, and steak seasoning in a medium bowl. Coat chicken in flour mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp of salt and 1 tbsp olive oil to a large pot of water and bring to boil. Boil noodles according to package. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook about 2 minutes. Pour in tomatoes and sugar. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and continue simmering for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce has simmered, stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for an additional 3 minutes. Lower heat and keep sauce warm. Add in basil and 1 tbsp parsley and stir well just before serving. Heat butter & olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cook 4-5 mins each side until the crust is golden brown.
- To serve: Spoon sauce over chicken and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle on parsley. Add noodles to the plate and cover with sauce. Generously cover the sauce on the noodles with parmesan cheese, and sprinkle some more Parmesan cheese on the chicken. Let stand until the mozzarella cheese on the chicken has melted from the heat of the sauce.