Easy Cajun Chicken and Rice Recipe
This Cajun Chicken and Rice recipe is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that is packed with good old-fashioned creole food flavor!! It is definitely one of our favorite cajun recipes. Chicken, rice, and cajun food flavors all come together. And it’s so quick and easy to get on the table on busy weeknights!
We love this traditional cajun food recipe. It’s perfect for a hungry family!
Did I mention you only need 6 ingredients for this easy Cajun Chicken and Rice??!
Start by making the rice. Combine 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, and 1 teaspoon salt in a saucepan, then bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 14 minutes.
Delicious Rice Tip for Cajun Food:
You can use chicken broth in place of the water, or throw in a chicken bouillon cube for extra flavor. It really adds a TON of flavor!
While the rice is cooking, take about one pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts and chop into 1-inch cubes. Season generously with your favorite Cajun seasoning or Creole seasoning.
Next, add olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
When the oil is very hot, add the chicken in a single layer. Brown on one side, about 2-3 minutes, then flip and brown on the other side.
When the chicken is browned on both sides, remove to a plate and set aside.
We have some fabulous browning and flavoring going on in this pan!! Now for the veggies. If needed, add a little more olive oil to the pan…
Increase the heat to high, and when the oil is hot, carefully add the diced onions and bell peppers. I LOVE using a package of frozen diced onions and bell peppers for this. You don’t even have to thaw them first. It’s so easy to always keep veggies on hand, and I don’t have to chop them myself! If you’d prefer to use fresh veggies, dice 1 onion and 3 bell peppers.
Add a bit more cajun seasoning, and cook the veggies, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned around the edges.
When the veggies are done, add the tomatoes, and add the chicken back in, along with any juices that may have collected on the plate.
Add the cooked rice…
And stir until well combined. That’s it!! This Cajun Chicken and Rice recipe is a totally quick and easy dinner!! And look at all those cajun food flavors!!
To add a little cheesy goodness to this chicken and rice (and to tone down the spice a bit) at this point you can add 1 cup shredded cheese. Stir well to combine.
This easy Cajun Chicken and Rice recipe is SUCH a great quick and easy meal that is sure to be a hit! It will definitely spice up your dinner rotation.
Cajun Chicken & Rice
Yield: 4 servings.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cajun or Creole Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups diced onions and bell peppers
- 1 (10-oz) can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine rice, water (or broth) and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 14 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside when done. Keep covered.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, about 1-inch cubes. Season generously with cajun seasoning. Add one tablespoon of the olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the chicken in a single layer. Brown on one side, about 2-3 minutes, then flip and brown on the other side. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, increase heat to high, and when the oil is hot, carefully add the onions and bell peppers. Add more seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and browned.
- Add the tomatoes to the onions and bell peppers, then add the chicken back in, along with any juices that may have collected on the plate. Add the cooked rice and stir until well combined. Add the cheese if desired and stir well to combine.