Raspberry Lemon Squares
These bright red raspberry lemon squares are the perfect last minute holiday treat! They’re even topped with a dusting of powdered snow, I mean sugar. ;) They’re soft and gooey with a sweet raspberry lemon flavor. The perfect combo!
Just a few simple ingredients here! These bars are very similar to Gooey Butter Cake, but with a lemon square cake base and a decadent raspberry cheesecake filling.
Two things to note here.
1. You could totally use a lemon cake mix instead of a yellow cake mix. I just happen to prefer the taste of yellow cake + lemon zest to get the lemon base. But you could definitely skip a step and just use a lemon cake mix!
2. I am not really the hugest fan of cream cheese, and usually leave it out of things when possible. But you cannot taste it at all in these squares. It just makes the raspberry filling creamy and gooey. :)
Okay? Okay. ;)
So here’s all you do. Take the cake mix.
If you’re using a yellow cake mix, add the zest of one lemon. We’ll be using the rest of that lemon later on. You can just use the smallest size grater holes on any old shredder you have.
Next add one egg and 1/2 cup melted butter.
Beat until light and fluffy.
Then press it into the bottom of a 9×13″ baking pan. You can use a small glass to roll it out and press it down if you don’t want to use your hands. :) I like lining my pans with foil to make the squares easier to remove when they’re done baking, but you can also just use cooking spray. :)
Now if you want a bright red raspberry filling, get the brightest red raspberries you can find at the store. You just need one 6 oz package.
Puree them in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.
Like so! :)
Now just pour the raspberry liquid in a regular flour sifter to get out all the seeds. Just a few cranks of the handle will get all the seeds out.
And you’re left with this perfectly seedless raspberry puree. I got about 1 cup of liquid from 6 oz of strawberries, but you only need 3/4 cup of raspberry puree.
Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and remaining two eggs together until smooth and creamy, then mix in the raspberry puree and the juice of one lemon until well combined. Pour over crust.
Bake at 325 for 40-25 minutes until edges are set and start to crack. The middle will still be slightly gooey.
Let set and cool completely before cutting into squares. Just before serving, top with a dusting of powdered sugar.
They’re soft, creamy, gooey, lemony, and sweet. The perfect bite!! Hope you enjoy!! :)
Raspberry Lemon Squares
Yield: Makes 20 bars.
- 1 (18.25 oz) box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 6 oz raspberries
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups powdered sugar (plus extra for garnish)
- juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with foil and coat generously with cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, melted butter, 1 egg, and lemon zest to a soft dough. Press into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Add rasberries to a blender or food processor and puree until liquified. Pour through a flour sifter to remove seeds.
- Beat cream cheese, 2 eggs, and powdered sugar until smooth, about 1-2 mins. And 3/4 cup raspberry puree and lemon juice, and beat until well combined. Pour on top of crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 40-45 minutes until edges are set and start to crack. Middle will still be slightly gooey. Let cool and set completely before cutting into squares. You can put the pan in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process.
- Just before serving, top with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.