Cheesy Chicken Bacon Broccoli Pasta
This pasta honestly has so much going for it. It’s like an ultra creamy, cheesy broccoli soup with bacon, chicken, and pasta. Seriously what on earth could be better?? ? Cheesy. Bacon. Pasta. Need I say more?? ?
Make this tonight for a dinner that everyone will love!!!
All you need to make this creamy pasta are a few simple ingredients: chicken, bacon, pasta, cheese, broccoli, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, and heavy whipping cream.
Let’s start with the broccoli florets.
Start by chopping them into bite-sized pieces. The smaller the better if you have picky eaters. Move to a bowl or plate and set aside.
Now find some really good, thick cut bacon…
And cut it into bite-sized pieces.
You can also use kitchen shears to cut it right into the pan. I’m using a 12-inch skillet here, but you may want to use a large pot with high sides, like a dutch oven. We’re going to be adding a lot of goodness to this dish. :)
Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 5-7 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, about 1-inch cubes.
And season generously with salt and pepper.
When the bacon is done, remove it to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add the chicken to the pan (with the bacon grease) in a single layer and cook for 5 minutes, until golden and browned, flipping once halfway through. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon to the same plate with the bacon.
If you have excess, remove all but 2 tablespoons of the remaining bacon grease. Then add the diced onions and broccoli.
I am using frozen, pre-diced onions here. I love them! No more crying while chopping onions!
Cook the veggies, stirring occasionally, until golden and browned, about 5-7 minutes.
And the garlic and stir to combine until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Remove the veggies to the plate with the chicken and bacon.
Then sit back and think about the fact that all this goodness (golden chicken, crispy bacon, caramelized onions, garlic broccoli) is about to go into a cheesy pasta. Hallelujah.
In the same pan (again, you’ll want something large with high sides here), add the chicken broth, cream, diced tomatoes, uncooked pasta, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Cover, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Until the pasta is tender and sauce is thickened.
Add the cheese and stir to combine to create the ultra creamy, cheesy sauce.
Finally, add the chicken, bacon, and veggies back into the pan and stir to combine.
Cheesy. Chicken. Bacon. Broccoli. Pasta.
It’s decadently creamy, ultra cheesy, AND… there’s bacon. Make this pasta ASAP. The end.
Cheesy Chicken Bacon Broccoli Pasta
Yield: 6 servings.
- 8 slices thick cut bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 onion)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz (about 3 cups) penne pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large pot with high sides, or a dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crispy, about 5-7 minutes. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. In the same pot with the bacon grease, arrange the chicken in a single layer. Cook for 5 minutes until golden and browned, flipping once halfway through. Remove with a slotted spoon to the plate with the bacon. If necessary, remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the pan. Increase heat to high, add the onions and broccoli, and cook until the onions are golden and brown, about 5-7 minutes. Decrease heat to low, add garlic and stir to combine until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove all the veggies to the plate with the chicken and bacon.
- Add the broth, Rotel, cream, pasta, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken, bacon, and veggies back into the pot and stir to combine until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the cheese and stir until smooth and melted. Serve and enjoy!! :)