Southwestern Chicken Pizza Rolls
We cannot stop eating these Southwestern Chicken Pizza Rolls!! They are so good! They make me want to go back for seconds and thirds!
Seasoned chicken, seared veggies, and gooey melty cheese are all rolled up in soft, chewy pizza dough and baked til golden brown and delicious. They’re so full of flavor and so fun to eat!
Here’s all you need: chicken, onion, bell pepper, corn, garlic, black beans, diced tomatoes, cheese, pizza dough, and green onions. (Sorry I forgot to picture the green onions!) I like to use a frozen mix of diced onions and bell peppers to make this go even faster so I don’t have to chop them myself.
How to Make Southwestern Chicken Pizza Rolls
Let’s start with the chicken. Now, you can use any kind of cooked, chopped chicken here. A shredded rotisserie chicken would be excellent. You could also cook the chicken in a crock pot with one of Lawry’s fun marinades (we like Mesquite with Lime) all day and shred it that night. But since I didn’t have a rotisserie chicken and I can never plan ahead enough in advance to make something in the crock pot, here’s how I did it: I took 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and boiled them for exactly 10 minutes.
I then immediately transferred the chicken into my KitchenAid mixer. Now, you may have seen this done before. I’ve certainly seen it all over the internet. However I’ve always been a little squeamish to try it myself because… come on. Chicken? In my KitchenAid? Where I make cookies?? Chicken cookies??! It just doesn’t go. But come on. The chicken is fully cooked, and you wash the KitchenAid stuff afterwards. I put both the bowl and beater in the dishwasher so I know they’re clean and sterilized. So, I got over it, and now this may seriously be my favorite way to cook chicken.
It’s SO easy. It really does work. It works really, really well!
I even threw my seasoning in and mixed it up again to season the chicken. Hot dog.
So anyway, now that we’ve got the chicken out of the way, or while the chicken’s boiling, if you want, let’s start on the veggies. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to the bottom of a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is very hot, and just barely starts to smoke, carefully add the diced onions, bell peppers, corn and a little bit more seasoning. I am using this homemade taco seasoning for both the chicken and veggies.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are slightly charred. Turn heat to low, add minced garlic, and stir to combine until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Next, roll out the pizza dough to approximately a 12×15-inch rectangle. Top with shredded chicken….
1/2 cup black beans…
And diced tomatoes. I am using Ro-tel tomatoes and green chilies here, but if you’re not into spicy you can use petite diced tomatoes instead.
Top with cheese… And at this point you may want to press down on the toppings to flatten everything out. Really press down good, this will help keep the filling from falling out when you roll it up.
And finally, top with thinly sliced green onions. If you have leftover green onions (sliced) these store really, really well in the freezer. Just store in a freezer Ziplock bag, then you can just grab a handful when you need them. These green onions here came straight from the freezer.
Assembling Your Pizza Rolls
Now we’ve got to roll this bad boy up. Roll up very tightly, pulling the dough towards you and stretching it out as you roll.
Slice into twelve 1-inch rolls.
And arrange in a 9×12-inch baking dish that’s been coated generously with nonstick cooking spray. If some of the filling falls out, don’t worry, just sprinkle it over the rolls in the dish.
Bake at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until dough is golden brown around the edges.
Top with a little fresh chopped cilantro if desired. These are so good and packed with flavor!! We devoured them. I could eat this every night!! Hope you enjoy!! :)
These Southwestern Chicken Pizza Rolls are insanely delicious! Warm and savory roll-ups filled with chicken and veggies to satisfy all your pizza cravings without all the grease!
- 2 cups (3/4 lb) cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 envelope (3 tablespoons) taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1/2 an onion)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1 bell pepper)
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (13.8 oz) refrigerated classic pizza crust
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) cans Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Preheat to 425 degrees F. Generously coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Season chicken with 1/2 packet (1.5 tablespoons) taco seasoning. Add olive oil to a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the onion, bell pepper, corn, and remaining taco seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are slightly charred. Turn heat to low, add garlic and stir to combine until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Roll out pizza dough to approximately a 12×15-inch rectangle. Top with chicken, veggies, beans, diced tomatoes, cheese, and green onions. Press down to flatten. Roll the dough up very tightly, pulling the dough towards you as you roll. Cut into twelve 1-inch rolls and place into prepared pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until dough is golden around the edges.
Keywords: pizza rolls recipe, homemade pizza rolls, pizza roll ups, easy dinner idea, easy dinner recipe, easy family dinner, easy dinner recipe for family, easy family dinner recipe, chicken pizza recipe