Easy Shepherd’s Pie with Roasted Potatoes
This is another really easy, really delicious weeknight dinner that’s super simple (and super fast!) to get on the table. I love this meat, veggies and potatoes kinda dinner! It’s Shepherd’s Pie, my way. I love the saucy, meaty, and veggie goodness of Shepherd’s Pie, but I hardly ever have leftover mashed potatoes to make it the traditional way. So for my Shepherd’s Pie, I use diced red potatoes that are quickly softened in the microwave in just seven minutes, and then broiled in the oven to get that crispy golden brown skin. These are some of the best potatoes I’ve ever had! They just burst with flavor in your mouth.
Here’s what all you need, just a few easy ingredients here.
How to Make This Simple Shepherd’s Pie
First, rinse and dice the new potatoes into bite sized cubes, place in a microwave safe bowl, and drizzle with butter.
Toss to coat with plenty of salt and pepper.
And cover. Microwave this for seven minutes until the potatoes are tender. This makes a fabulous, quick and easy side dish that can be eaten just like this, and it’s on the table in 10 minutes or less. I am so in love with these yummy, buttery potatoes!!
While the potatoes are cooking, place the meat of your choice in an oven safe skillet. I’m using extra lean ground turkey, but you could certainly use ground beef as well — totally up to you!
Add some diced onions and cook on medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink.
Here’s my little onion secret. I absolutely love using these frozen, diced onions. It makes getting dinner on the table so much quicker for me, and I love that I can use what I need and put the rest back in the freezer for later.
When the meat is no longer pink, drain if necessary (I didn’t have to with this ground turkey), reduce heat to medium, and stir in the flour for about one minute.
Pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire and cook until the sauce is thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
This is smelling fabulous right now!
Stir in the peas and carrots (I don’t even thaw them first) and simmer until heated through, about 1-2 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper — I use about 1/2 teaspoon each of kosher salt and fresh, coarsely crushed ground black pepper. By the way, I would never, ever used fresh crushed black pepper in my recipes if it weren’t for this neat thing! If it ever broke, I would totally run right out and buy a new one right away. :)
Oh! And you could certainly use a bag of mixed peas and carrots here, but I usually have separate bags on hand. I’m partial to these petite green peas. :)
Next, scatter the cooked potatoes over the meat mixture and broil in the oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Like this. Crispy and delicious!
Yum! We love this one, guys.
Hope you enjoy!! :)Print
This Shepherd’s Pie with Roasted Potatoes couldn’t be easier to make! Bursting with all your favorite Shepherd’s Pie flavors, this is a delicious dinner for the whole family.
- 8 red new potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
- 1.5 cups diced onion
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- Rinse and dice potatoes into bite-sized chunks and toss with melted butter, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and microwave for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the meat and onion in an oven safe skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary and return to skillet. Stir in the flour until incorporated, about 1 minute. Add the broth and Worcestershire and cook until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in peas and carrots and simmer until heated through, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon each.
- Scatter the cooked potatoes over the meat and broil until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Keywords: easy shepherd's pie, best shepherd's pie recipe, easy shepherd's pie recipe, best shepherd's pie recipe, cottage pie, cottage pie recipe, easy healthy dinner idea, easy healthy dinner recipe, easy dinner recipe for family