Red Beans & Rice
This is my new go-to meal, especially when I need something quick, easy, filling and delicious!! My bestie friend Stewy made this for me when I was visiting him in Georgia, and his friend made it for him when he was visting him down in New Orleans (cheering for Auburn in the 2004 season Sugar Bowl!). This is authentic, Nawlins Style Red Beans & Rice. It’s so simple and man pleasin’. Stewy & Kevin approved. And tonight, I’m gonna make it for you.
First, make sure your husband is watching football in the background. This is a must.
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups hot water
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pkg (14 oz) smoked sausage
1 can red beans
Zatarains Creole Seasoning
Now. A word. See that “Ragin’ Cajun” smoked sausage in the picture up there? Yeah. Kevin thought it’d be fun to try that this time. Well let me tell you. It was HOT! HOT HOT HOT. Way too hot for me. I prefer just the regular, Eckrich smoked sausage, especially for this. Now Kevin liked it, mind you, but wow. My mouth was on fire for like a week. You’d been warned.
Onto the good stuff. Start by adding 1 cup of long grain, white rice to a sauce pan with a lid.
Add 2 cups hot water and 1 tsp salt. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil, turn heat to LOW, cover with lid and simmer for exactly 15 mins.
Meanwhile, thinly slice the sausage.
Drain the juice from the red beans into the sink.
Add 2-3 tbsp olive oil to to a large skillet and begin heating over medium heat.
Add the sausage, and I usually give a healthy sprinkling of creole seasoning at this point. Stir occasionally for about 7 mins until the sausages start to get sizzly on both sides. Yes, that’s the official term for it. ;)
Add the red beans and stir until warmed through.
About this time, your rice should be done too, so serve it up! :)
I put the creole seasoning on the table- cause everyone likes to add their own amount. At this point, I like to stir mine up real good until my rice gets all brown from the sausage, beans and seasoning. Yummy. Makes about 2-3 servings.
Red Beans & Rice
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pkg (14 oz) smoked sausage
- 1 can red beans
- Zatarains Creole Seasoning
- Add the rice, water and salt to a sauce pan with a lid. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, then cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the sausage and drain the juice from the red beans. Add 2-3 tablespoon olive oil to to a large skillet and begin heating over medium heat. Add the sausage, give a sprinkling of creole seasoning and stir occasionally for about 7 mins until the sausages start to get browned on both sides. Add the red beans and stir until warmed through.
- Serve the beans and sausage over the rice. Add extra creole seasoning if desired at the table.