Oh my goodness you guys, this Ham and Cheese Gnocchi is one of our new favorite, favorite dinners!! Right after Christmas I was looking for a way to use up some of our leftover ham, and I wanted something ultra cheesy, creamy, warm and comforting. This super cheesy Ham & Cheese Gnocchi nailed it! It’s kinda like a dreamy baked mac and cheese, but way more grown up and a million times more decadent. First of all, gnocchi are basically like little pillows of dumpling goodness sent straight from heaven. Heaven, I tell you! I love gnocchi! Gnocchi and pasta are two things I think I could eat every day for the rest of my life. And when they’re surrounded by a cheesy, creamy sauce and beautiful, crispy ham?? It’s like I’ve died and gone to comfort food heaven. :)
The best part about this meal is that it all cooks in one skillet and it can be made in 15 minutes or less. Plus it uses easy ingredients you can always keep on hand. Yes to lightening-fast dinners and super easy clean up! :)
Here’s all you’ll need: 1 package Potato Gnocchi — We love the DeLallo brand, and you can also buy gnocchi in bulk at Costco! Perfect for always keeping on hand. :) Cheese — Swiss, Monterey Jack, or Gruyere would be beautiful here, but I used Pepper Jack to give this dish a kick. Butter, chicken broth, whipping cream. Diced onion — I love buying frozen diced onions so I can always have them on hand. Baby sweet peas. And diced ham. I diced and portioned out all of our leftover ham from Christmas, so I just grabbed ours from the freezer. Easy peasy!
Start by melting a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
When the butter is melted and foamy, add 2 cups diced onion. You don’t even have to thaw them first if you are using frozen onions like me. (That’s about 1 whole onion if you’d prefer to dice your own :)).
Cook onions until softened and golden brown.
Add ham and continue to cook until the ham is lightly browned, then pour in chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
Add the gnocchi, stir well, and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Then stir in the peas (if your peas are frozen, go ahead and dump them in frozen!), whipping cream, and plenty of salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and broil until golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
It could not be any easier! Creamy, cheesy, crispy, gooey perfection. We love this one!! Hope you enjoy!! :)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 whole onion)
- 12 oz ham, diced
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup water
- 1 (16 oz) package potato gnocchi
- 1 cup baby sweet peas, frozen
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Swiss, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, or Pepper Jack)
- Melt the butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and golden brown. Add the ham and continue to cook until lightly browned.
- Add the chicken broth and water and bring to a simmer. Add the gnocchi, stir well, and cover and cook for 5 minutes until the gnocchi is tender. Stir in the peas, cream, and plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and broil until golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Enjoy!!