Chicken Packets has been one of my favorite meals since childhood. My mom had this recipe book, and she would draw a smiley face next to the recipes we liked. I remember coming across this recipe one day and drawing like 50 smiley faces all around the recipe. I loved it. I still love it. And now I can appreciate how quick and easy it is to make. Kevin calls them Hot Pockets. He *always* comes up with a fast food / boxed food alternative name for all my recipes. :p Whatever you call them, they are just downright good. And picky-kid approved. :D
Here’s what’ you’ll need:
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1 (3 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp milk
2 pkgs refrigerated crescent rolls
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
For the chicken, you can cook it any way you like. Boil it and shred it, grill it and slice it, cut it up and cook it in the skillet with some olive oil, or you can even buy that pre-packaged stuff from the grocery store. :D However you do it, just make sure you have about 2 cups of bite-sized chicken.
Let’s get started:
Preheat your oven to 350 and spray a rectangular baking sheet with Pam. Or don’t, if you use a Pampered Chef baking stone like me. :) Unroll the first package of crescent rolls. Each tube will contain 4 rectangles of dough with a diagonal perforation. Press along diagonal perforation to seal together and arrange on baking sheet. Like this:
Mix chicken, softened cream cheese, and milk a large bowl. I can never remember to soften my cream cheese on the counter, so usually I put it in the bowl first and warm it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so until it softens up. Then I mix in the chicken and milk. Stir that up really good, then start spooning it into the middle of each rectangle.
Make sure you leave some room on the edges so you can seal the packets. Open the second package of crescent rolls and lay those 4 rectangles over your chicken mixture.
Melt 2 tbsp butter in a small bowl and brush over packets. Sprinkle on seasoned breadcrumbs.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 mins or until golden brown.
Yummy, yummy, yummy. And ya know? I bet these would be good with other stuff mixed in. Salt and pepper? Fresh herbs? Maybe a packet of Italian or Ranch dressing?? I’m always looking to spice up my favorite recipes, so if you make a modification that you just love, leave me comment and let me know!! I wanna try it!! :D
And of course, Chicken Packets has its own scrapbook page in its honor! It was one of the first ones I ever made.
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- 1 (3 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 pkgs refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ⅓ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray rectangular baking sheet with Pam.
- Mix chicken, cream cheese, and milk a large bowl. Unroll crescent rolls. Each tube will contain 4 rectangles of dough with a diagonal perforation. Press along diagonal perforation to seal together. Spoon chicken mixture into the center of 4 rectangles. Place the other 4 rectangles over the filling and pinch the edges together of seal tightly. Brush each packet with melted butter and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 mins or until golden brown.