I am in love with this juicy, savory, brown buttery chicken. It’s so ridiculously quick and easy — it’s the perfect weeknight meal. I always have frozen, individually wrapped chicken breasts in the freezer to keep on hand in case of dinner emergencies. For nights when I don’t have anything planned, I can just thaw a couple out really quick and have this gorgeous chicken on the table in five minutes.
It’s so simple. Just cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. About one per person — there’s two of us, so I’ve got two pieces of chicken here.
Grab a handful of fresh sage, about 1/4 cup per person. I’ve got 1/2 cup here. You can easily find sage in the produce section of the grocery store, but sage is so easy to grow, and this recipe is enough reason alone to have some always on hand in your garden! :) It also comes back every year, so you don’t have to worry about making a trip to the nursery every year. It doesn’t have to be trimmed back as often as basil or parsley, so it’s extremely low maintenance. Sage is just about as easy-going of an herb as rosemary! And it pairs so perfectly with chicken. It’s one of my favorites.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt a couple tablespoons of butter — about one tablespoon per chicken breast.
We’re going to let the butter melt completely, and keep cooking until it starts to turn brown and the buttery, nutty aroma is almost overwhelming.
Like this. Can you smell it? Oh my gosh. Brown butter is the best fragrance in the world!
Add the chicken in a single layer — if you have more, you might want to do this in two batches — and arrange the sage over the chicken.
Set the timer for five minutes. Cook the chicken on one side without moving for two and a half minutes until golden brown, like above. Stir and toss chicken and sage, making sure to coat all in brown butter, then flip the chicken to the other side and cook for the remainder of the time.
After the five minutes is up, it’s done! Beautiful, juicy, flavor-filled chicken and delicious, butter-crisp sage. I seriously love crispy sage more than potato chips.
- Pair this with Picky Palate’s 5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese for a 5 Minute Dinner.
- Put ‘em in tortillas and make Cheesy Chicken, Bacon and Avocado Quesadillas.
- Serve with these Sweet, Summer Roasted Vegetables which can be whipped up in 20 minutes or less.
So many uses for this wonderful chicken! It’s one of our favorites around here. Hope you enjoy!!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces (about 1-inch cubes), season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Melt butter in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When butter turns brown and fragrant, add the chicken in a single layer and arrange sage over the chicken.
- Set the timer for five minutes. Cook the chicken on one side without moving for 2 minutes and 30 seconds until golden brown. Stir and toss chicken and sage, making sure to coat all in brown butter, then flip the chicken to the other side and cook for the remainder of the time.
- Serve with your favorite side dish, make quesadillas, or add to pasta. Enjoy!