Chicken Fajita Pasta
This Chicken Fajita Pasta is hands down one of our all-time favorite meals. It’s loaded with crispy chicken, fresh veggies, and wonderfully spicy, creamy sauce. It’s utterly delicious. And you seriously won’t even believe how ridiculously quick and easy it is to make!
It’s so, so good. Creamy, decadent deliciousness!
Here’s how you make it. Start by slicing boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
Season generously with 1/2 packet of Taco or Fajita seasoning (about 1.5 tablespoons).
I am using our favorite homemade taco seasoning from Picky Palate here. I have been making it for years, and Kevin LOVES it. He can totally tell the difference when I use store-bought or this homemade version, and he always gives tons of extra compliments when I use the homemade version. I finally made a big batch of it so I’ll always have it on hand. It fits perfectly in an 8oz mason jar in pantry. It’s so easy to make (only 5 ingredients) and super easy to grab and use whenever I need it! You can get the recipe for this homemade taco seasoning on Picky Palate today!
Next coat the bottom of a large skillet with a thin layer of olive oil, and turn the heat to high.
When the oil is very hot, add the chicken in a single layer and cook (without stirring) until one side is seared and browned, about 1-2 minutes. Then flip the chicken over and brown the other side . Remove the chicken to a plate.
Add a little more oil with the heat still on high.
When the oil is very hot again, carefully add the sliced onions, bell peppers, and remaining taco seasoning (about 1.5 tablespoons).
Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are slightly blackened.
Turn heat to low, add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant and well combined, about 30 seconds. Remove the veggies to the plate with the chicken.
Next add the broth, cream, diced tomatoes, and uncooked pasta to the skillet. You may also want to add some salt if you’re using low-sodium broth.
Stir to combine and bring to boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes until the pasta is tender and the liquid is mostly absorbed.
If you have too much liquid after 15 minutes, you may need to increase your heat and cook for 5 more minutes.
Add the chicken and veggies back in and stir to combine until heated through, about 2 minutes.
This pasta is PACKED with so many fresh flavors. It would be perfect with a slice of buttery, toasted garlic bread. I hope you love it as much as we do!!
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make Chicken Fajita Pasta!
Chicken Fajita Pasta
Yield: 4 servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 envelope (3 tablespoons) taco or fajita seasoning (I use this Homemade Taco Seasoning)
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 whole onion)
- 2 cups diced bell peppers (2-3 bell peppers)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (10-oz) can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- 8 oz (about 3 cups) penne pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season with half of taco seasoning. In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat. When the oil is very hot, carefully add the chicken in a single layer and cook without stirring until one side is seared and browned, about 1-2 minutes. Flip the chicken to the other side and cook until browned. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet with the heat still on high. When the oil is very hot again, add the onions, bell peppers, and remaining taco seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are slightly blackened. Turn heat to low, add minced garlic, and stir until fragrant and well combined, about 30 seconds. Remove the veggies to the plate with the chicken.
- In the same skillet, add the broth, cream, diced tomatoes, uncooked pasta, and salt. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15 minutes until pasta is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed. Add the chicken and veggies back into the skillet and stir to combine until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve with buttery garlic bread and enjoy!