Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread Mini Donuts
Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Banana is Kevin’s favorite combo of all time. Like, I seriously can’t stress this enough. He loves it. Every time I make dessert he always wants something with chocolate, peanut butter, and banana. I even have an entire Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Banana Pinterest board just for him.
I like chocolate and peanut butter as much as the next person (I mean, who doesn’t right?!) and I love banana bread, but I’m just not really a bananas-in-my-dessert kinda gal. I’m a plain-Jane vanilla girl. Just give me plain chocolate chip cookie dough, a vanilla cupcake, or a vanilla milkshake and I am in heaven. And since I’m usually the one doing the baking, I usually get my way when it comes to desserts. ;)
But August is Kevin’s birthday month (we celebrate the whole month over here!) so he gets to pick whatever dessert he wants — at least for the month of August. :) Last year we started a tradition of making three birthday treats instead of a traditional cake. Here’s what he picked last year:
- Ganache Stuffed Banana Pudding Cookie Cups
- Banana Pudding Ice Cream with Peanut Butter and Chocolate Fudge Swirls
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Eclair Bars (made with banana pudding, of course)
Are you sensing a theme here?? :)
This weekend Kevin poured over some of my favorite dessert cookbooks (you might have seen it on Instagram :)) and picked out his three birthday treats. His first pick are these adorable, tiny, too-cute-for-words Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread Mini Donuts. Even I can get behind this chocolate, peanut butter, and banana themed treat! :)
Ultra soft banana bread mini donuts are topped with a decadent peanut butter glaze and mini chocolate chips for the ultimate chocolate, peanut butter, and banana combination. Perfect for any chocolate, peanut butter, and banana lover in your life! Plus they’re so tiny you could seriously eat like ten of them without even batting an eye.
This recipe comes to you from the Mini Donuts: 100 Bite-Sized Donut Recipes to Sweeten Your “Hole” Day cookbook by Jessica Segarra from the fabulous The Novice Chef blog. This book is packed (100 recipes!) with tons of fun, tiny, delicious doughnuts. Kevin had a very hard time narrowing it down to just one! But when he saw this one, called “The Elvis” on page 83 of Jessica’s book, he knew it had to be this one.
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread Mini Donuts
The recipe calls for 1/2 cup mashed banana, and as it turned out, one average-sized banana was almost exactly 1/2 cup when mashed. Perfect.
I whipped up the batter and transferred to a Ziploc bag for easy piping into the donut pan.
I used this Wilton Mini Donut Pan I got on Amazon. Using this pan the recipe made exactly 36 mini donuts.
While the donuts are baking, whip up this simple peanut butter glaze with 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and 1 tablespoon millk. My glaze needed one more tablespoon of milk to make it thin enough for dunking like this, but then it needed one more extra tablespoon of powdered sugar so it wasn’t too runny.
Next press into a bowl of mini chocolate chips to cover the entire surface of your mini donuts in tiny chocolate morsels. I dipped all of the donuts in peanut butter glaze first, then went back and dunked them all in the chocolate chips. This was to allow the peanut butter glaze to set up a bit so that it was still sticky enough to hold the chocolate chips, but not too runny.
How cute are these tiny mini donuts?? :)
I must’ve eaten at least 10 of them right after dunking in the chocolate chips. They didn’t even make it to the plate where I was keeping the finished donuts. They’re just so cute and tiny! It’s basically like just having one bite, and we all know just one bite doesn’t have any calories, right?
I can’t get over how soft and decadent this bread is. And if you don’t have a donut pan, you could just as easily make these in a mini muffin pan and they would turn out just as fabulous. I bet your cooking time would even be the same (7-9 mins).
Banana bread heaven topped with chocolate and peanut butter. How can you go wrong?? :)Print
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread Mini Donuts are a fun and delicious dessert. This recipe makes 36 mini donuts – they’re the perfect treat for parties!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 medium banana)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously coat donut pans with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and egg. Then add banana, oil, and vanilla extract, mixing until thoroughly combined. Stir in the flour mixture, stirring until there are no lumps. Transfer batter to a piping bag, or to a Ziploc bag with the tip cut off.
- Carefully fill each donut indentation 3/4 full. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until donuts are slightly browned and spring back when touched. Remove from oven, transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely.
- Place wax paper under a wire rack to collect any drippings for an easy cleanup. Then, in a small bowl, wish together peanut butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Slowly add 1 tablespoon milk, whisking constantly until you get a smooth frosting. Add remaining tablespoon of milk and / or sugar if needed to get the right consistency.
- Dip the top of each donut into the frosting and transfer to a wire rack. Then dip the top of each donut into the chocolate chips and press to coat. Donuts can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days but are best when eaten fresh.
Keywords: mini donuts recipe, homemade donuts, homemade donuts recipe, homemade doughnuts recipe, homemade doughnuts, mini doughnuts recipe, how to make doughnuts, best doughnuts recipe
Check out Jessica’s Mini Donut book for more delightfully sweet mini donuts. Enjoy!! :)