Shhh…. It’s a surprise baby shower! These cute baby blue cookie “cupcakes” are in honor of my sweet blogging friend Maria. Maria blogs at Two Peas and Their Pod and they’re about to add a cute little baby pea to their pod! Maria loves cookies and has over 100 original cookie recipes on her blog. I knew I had to honor Maria with these Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Cups for her virtual baby shower today!
This is me and Maria in snowy New York earlier this year. We went on the hunt for the best chocolate chip cookie in NYC. You can’t tell yet, but little Baby Pea is in this photo too.
August has been such a fun whirlwind. It seems like I’ve been all over the place with Jenny this month. Whenever I’m in California I always try to stay an extra night or two so we can run around OC together. And I always love being as close to the Picky Palate kitchen as I can get! I’m actually moving in. I just haven’t told Jenny yet. I spent so much time there in August we decided to prepare our cookies for Maria’s shower together. It was so much fun bouncing around ideas, snapping tons of photos, and baking in our PJs. I loved collaborating on this fun surprise for our sweet friend!
Jenny came up with a great chocolate chip oatmeal cookie dough that can be made as cookies (like for Jenny’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Sandwich) or in a regular sized muffin tin as cookie cupcakes. I am seriously in love with these cookie cups! These are so incredibly chewy and delicious. Plus they’re tiny. Bite-sized. Perfectly pop-able for a party. Definitely not as messy as a regular cupcake. And the Baby Blue Buttercream frosting? Perfection. I might even prefer these cookie cups to a regular cupcake. Gasp! How fun would it be to open a cookie cupcake bakery and make all different flavor combinations of cookies and frostings? If someone does this, let me know. I’ll move to your town immediately.
Okay, I can’t wait any longer, let’s get started on these cups! Start by creaming 2 sticks of softened butter with 3/4 cup of white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar.
Add two eggs and one whole tablespoon of vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Add the dry ingredients – flour, oats, baking soda and salt — and slowly mix until just combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips and you’ll have one fabulous chocolate chip oatmeal cookie dough recipe! Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the dough into regular sized muffin tins (unlined, but spray well with cooking spray) and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Your cookies will likely still be gooey in the center, but once they cool they’ll be perfect. As soon as they come out of the oven take a sharp knife and run it around the edge of the cups so they’ll pop out easily once they cool. You may also want to take a spoon and press down the center of the cookies so you’ll have the perfect little spot for the Baby Blue Buttercream Frosting. Sorry I didn’t get a picture of these steps. I was too busy salivating.
Speaking of the buttercream… Just a few simple ingredients here. Butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla are all it takes. Oh, and a little blue food coloring of course!
Once the cookies are cooled, just scoop the frosting into a ziploc bag, snip off the end and pipe onto the cookie cups. Oh my gosh, have I mentioned how much I love these things??
Perfectly chewy, gooey, and chocolaty on the inside. Glorious.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- 1 drop blue food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray a regular sized muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugars in a stand or electric mixer until well combined. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Place flour, oats, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Stir to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the dough into the muffin tins and gently press down before baking. Bake for 15 minutes, until edges start to turn golden brown. The cookies will likely still be gooey in the center. As soon as they come out of the oven, run a sharp knife around the edge of the cups so they'll pop out easily once they cool. You may also want to press down the center a little more with a spoon to create a spot for the frosting. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Place softened butter into stand or electric mixer and beat until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Add vanilla and milk until smooth and creamy. You can add more powdered sugar for a thicker frosting if desired. Mix in a drop of blue food coloring to desired color. Scoop the frosting into a ziplock bag, snip off the end and pipe onto the cookie cups. Enjoy!!
You’re invited! Here’s a round-up of all the other bloggers participating in the virtual baby shower for Maria. Take a peek at all the delicious treats and fun crafts they’re bringing! You can also follow the hashtag #twopeasbabyshower for all the Twitter chatter and fun.
Simple Bites – Lemon Balm infused Lemonade
Ingredients, Inc. – Healthy Fruit Punch
Food for My Family – Lemongrass Soda
Heather’s Dish – Mixed Fruit Punch
Georgia Pellegrini – Watermelon Agua Fresca
She Wears Many Hats – Mini Pistachio Smoothies
With Style and Grace – Truffle Popcorn
Family Fresh Cooking – Baby Peas & Cheese Frittata
Barbara Bakes – Creamy Orange Fruit Dip and Fruit
Aggie’s Kitchen – Pasta Salad with Balsamic Basil Vinaigrette
Reluctant Entertainer – Nutella Berry Bruschetta
Dorie Greenspan – French Lemon Cream Tart
TidyMom – Blue and Chocolate Cake Balls
i am baker – Baby Pea Baby Shower Cake
Brown Eyed Baker – Pavlova
Picky Palate – Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Sandwich
What’s Gaby Cooking – Coconut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
Cookin’ Canuck – Nutella & Cream Cheese Swirled Blondies
Kevin and Amanda – Baby Blue Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Cups
Sweetopia – Decorated Sugar Cookies
Mountain Mama Cooks – Lavender Shortbread Cookies
Sweetapolita – Little Pea Sugar Cookie Pops
Bake at 350 – Petit Fours with fondant pea pods
RecipeGirl – Baby Button Cookies
RecipeBoy – Mud Cups with Gummy Worms
Add a Pinch – Blackberry Tartlets
Vintage Mixer – Mint Chocolate Pudding Shots
Dine and Dish – Oven Baked Cinnamon Apples
Congratulations Maria and Josh!!