Ham & Cheese Pierogis
So excited to share a fun new quick and easy dinner recipe today! This meal is super hearty, super filing, and decadently delicious!
Have you heard of pierogis? Pierogis are like ravioli, but instead of being filled with cheese, they are filled with mashed potatoes! Pierogis are a very popular eastern European cuisine.
When I think of mashed potatoes I think of ham, cheese, and broccoli, so I paired them all in this hearty, cheesy, Ham & Cheese Pierogis recipe!
It’s warm, melty, and an entire meal in one pan.
Here’s all you need to make this one-pot meal!
I found these frozen mashed potato and cheese pierogis in the freezer section of the grocery store. I also used frozen chopped onions, broccoli, sliced ham, white cheddar cheese, chicken broth, and whipping cream.
First chop the ham into bite size pieces, and set aside.
Next melt some butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the chopped onions and broccoli.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and browned, about 10 minutes.
Remove vegetables to a plate, then add the ham and cook until lightly browned.
When browned, remove the ham to the plate with the vegetables and set aside.
Melt a little more butter in the skillet, then add the pierogis and cook until bottom is slightly brown and toasted.
Then add the chicken broth, reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid, and simmer for 15 minutes…
Until liquid is mostly absorbed.
Add the ham and vegetables back into the pan, then add the cream, salt and pepper to taste, and stir gently to combine.
Top with plenty of shredded cheese. I used white cheddar here.
Broil in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve and enjoy!
It’s gooey, cheesy, melty, and so hearty!
Ham, cheese, broccoli, and mashed potato dumplings. The perfect combo!
Hope you enjoy!!
Ham & Cheese Pierogis
Yield: 6 servings.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 3/4 lb ham, diced
- 12 frozen pierogis
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Swiss, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and broccoli and cook until the onions are golden and brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the vegetables to a plate. Add the ham and cook until lightly browned. Remove the ham to the plate with the vegetables.
- In the same skillet, melt the remaining butter, then add the pierogis to the pan in a single layer. Cook on one side for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned. Add the broth, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the broth is mostly absorbed.
- Add the ham and vegetables back into the pan. Add the cream, salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine. Top with shredded cheese. Broil in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!