Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Oreo Pie
You guys. I cannot get over this pie. This is seriously one of the easiest, most impressive desserts ever. I mean, have mercy! Just look at it! It’s the perfect amount of decadence without being too rich or overpowering. And the best part is? There are only FIVE ingredients. It’s so easy to make!
There are three layers of decadent lusciousness here: The first is a bliss-inducing dark chocolate ganache, which tastes like the inside of an expensive French truffle. Second, a homemade, fool-proof salted caramel sauce you won’t have to worry about burning. And finally, an extra thick Oreo cookie crust. Because we all know the crust is the best part. Did I mention you only need 5 ingredients to make this? :)
One of my favorite things about this pie is that you can make it the night before, let it sit overnight in the fridge, and it’s still just as good the next day. This is a dessert that’s perfect for when you’re having company over or taking to someone’s house because you’re not busy in the kitchen all day or making a mess!
As promised, only 5 ingredients here! Chocolate chips, brown sugar, Oreos, butter, and heavy whipping cream. That’s all you need!
Finely crush an entire package of whole Oreos — minus the one that you eat, of course — in a food processor or blender. You can also do this in a ziploc bag with a rolling pin.
Mix the Oreos with one stick of melted butter until evenly combined.
Then pour into the bottom of a pie pan. I used this 10-inch by 2-inch deep dish tart pan from Amazon so I could show you guys this fabulous crust, (and so that first slice would be much easier to cut) but trust me when I say you could use any pie pan. It doesn’t have to be a fancy tart pan! :)
Press the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. The crust is one of the best parts of this pie!! Pop that into the freezer to set up while you make the salted caramel sauce.
Melt the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to boil.
Keep cooking, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, then remove from heat and slowly whisk in 1/4 cup of the whipping cream.
Cool caramel about 15 minutes, then pour into the bottom of the frozen pie crust. Return to freezer for 30-45 minutes, just until caramel is firm. You don’t want it to get frozen.
Next, we’ll make our decadent dark chocolate ganache. Pour 1 bag of chocolate chips into a heat-proof bowl, then bring 1 cup of heavy whipping cream to a simmer on the stove. (Sorry for the lack of step-by-step pictures here.) Pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth and fully combined. Remove the pie from the freezer and pour the chocolate ganache over the caramel layer.
Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon or a spatula to evenly distribute to chocolate. Return to freezer for another 30 mins, just until the chocolate is set, or you can refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
This is the beauty of a tart pan. The bottom is removable, so the rim just pops right off, revealing this beautiful chocolate crust. When ready to serve, sprinkle with a flaky sea salt, like kosher salt or I like using this Fleur De Sel.
Chocolate crust. Gooey caramel. Decadent chocolate. Salty. Sweet. Ridiculous.
This would make a great last minute addition to your Thanksgiving table. Enjoy, friends!! :)
Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Oreo Pie
Yield: 8-12 servings.
- 1 package (about 36) whole Oreos
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) butter, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 (12 oz) bag dark chocolate chips
- Finely crush the Oreos with a food processor or blender. Stir crumbs together with 8 tablespoons melted butter until well combined. Press into the bottom and sides of a pie pan. Freeze crust for 10 minutes until set.
- Combine remaining 8 tablespoons butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to bubble. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream until smooth. Cool caramel about 15 minutes. Pour the caramel over the Oreo crust, then return to freezer for about 30-45 minutes until just chilled and set. (You don’t want the caramel to fully freeze.)
- Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl. In a saucepan, bring 1 cup heavy whipping cream to a simmer over medium-high heat. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk until completely smooth. Pour the chocolate over the caramel and freeze for a final 30 minutes, until just chilled and set. OR refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. Before serving, sprinkle the top with a flaky sea salt like kosher salt or Fleur De Sel.
Store covered in the refrigerator and serve chilled.