The Best Lemon Squares
These luscious Brown Butter Frosted Lemon Squares are the perfect lemon treat!! They’re soft, chewy, and practically melt in your mouth. A decadent brown butter lemon shortbread is topped with a sweet lemon glaze. I made these for a party and they disappeared off the plate!
They’re so easy to make. All you need are 5 ingredients.
How to Make Brown Butter Frosted Lemon Squares
Start by melting the butter in a large saucepan. Use a bigger pan than you think you’ll need, because the butter rises when it’s browning.
While the butter is melting, whisk occasionally. When it starts to foam, like above, whisk continuously until the butter turns brown and fragrant.
When the butter is brown, like above, remove immediately to a large bowl.
Let the butter cool, then whisk in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
Add the sugar, flour, and salt to the butter and beat with a mixer on low speed until just combined. Press into the bottom of an 8×8 pan. I like to line my pan with foil to make it easier to remove after baking. Here’s my trick that makes lining a pan with foil SO much easier.
While the lemony shortbread is baking, let’s whisk up the sweet lemon glaze. Take 1 cup of powdered sugar, stir in 1 tablespoon melted butter, add the zest of 1 lemon, then squeeze in just enough lemon juice to make a pourable glaze, about 1.5-2 tablespoons. I could seriously eat this glaze just by itself!
When the pan is completely cool, pour the frosting over the shortbread. Allow the glaze to set before cutting into squares. You can place the pan in the refrigerator to speed up the process.
I am still dreaming about these Brown Butter Frosted Lemon Squares!! I wish I had one in front of me right now! Hope you enjoy!! :)Print
These Brown Butter Frosted Lemon Squares are smooth, soft and delicious! Tart and sweet at the same time, these lemon bars are unbeatable.
- 8 ounces (1 cup) butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 grams) sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium heat, whisking occasionally. When the butter starts to foam, whisk constantly until it turns brown and fragrant. Remove immediately to a large mixing bowl. Allow the butter to cool, then whisk in 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to the butter and beat with a mixer on low speed until just combined. Don’t overmix. Press into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until the edges just start to turn golden. The middle will still VERY gooey, but the cake is definitely done at this point. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon glaze. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and whisk into powdered sugar. Add the zest of 1 lemon, and just enough lemon juice to make a thick, but pourable glaze, about 1½ – 2 tablespoons. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Pour glaze over shortbread and allow to set before cutting into bars.
Store in an airtight container. Can be stored in the refrigerator or not.
Keywords: lemon squares recipe, best lemon bars, best lemon bars recipe, easy lemon bars recipe, easy lemon bars, how to make lemon bars, recipe for lemon bars