This delicious, cheesy, ooey gooey lasagna is so yummy! It may sound weird, but with fresh, summery zucchini, plenty of bacon, three types of cheese, and a little pinch of nutmeg, it’s just bursting with flavor. It’s fun to make and super impressive because you get to toss around phrases like “fontina cheese”, “freshly grated nutmeg” and “Oh, I’m just whipping up a béchamel sauce!”
Give it a try… you won’t be disappointed! :)
What better place to start than with bacon! I’m seriously considering making this my desktop background. You’ll need about 6-8 slices cooked bacon, and here’s how I do it: Arrange bacon slices on a cooling rack (like for cookies) and set on top of sheet pan. If you don’t have a cooling rack, you can just put it in the sheet pan. Or a 9×13 dish. Either will work! :) Place bacon in a cold oven, then turn heat to 400. You don’t have to wait for the oven to preheat, go ahead and set your timer for 16 mins. After 16 mins, flip the bacon and bake for another 16-18 mins, or until done. Quick. Easy. Painless. Not to mention crunchy & yummy! :)
While the bacon is baking, let’s prepare the zucchini. You’ll need 1 zucchini, or about 2 cups, diced. This summer I planted eight zucchini plants and ended up with more zucchini than any two people could ever possibly eat. So I just pick my zucchini as it’s ready, dice it, and freeze it in ziploc bags. Then when I get ready to use it, it’s all diced up and ready to go. Perfect!
Toss zucchini in olive oil, just enough to coat, add 1-2 cloves minced garlic, and plenty of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. I never used to grind my own pepper until I got this. Love it! Now I never use anything else.
Roast zucchini in an 8×8 baking dish at 400 degrees for 15 mins… You don’t need to spray it, there’s plenty of oil to keep it from sticking. Go ahead and toss it in the oven with your bacon after you flip it if ya want! :)
You’ll also need 3 ounces of shredded fontina cheese. Ooh. I forgot to measure how much that is. I would guess about a cup. I just get the deli to cut off a 3 oz block, then bring it home and shred it.
Now for the good stuff. Once your bacon has cooled, chop into bite sized pieces. Combine bacon, roasted zucchini, fontina cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1 egg, and more kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside while you whip up your béchamel sauce… :)
You’ll need just a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg… delicious! :)
Melt 1 tbsp butter in a heavy, medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 1 tbsp flour and whisk for 3 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup milk. Increase the heat to just above medium. Whisk the sauce until it comes to a simmer and is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Whisk a pinch each of salt, pepper, and nutmeg into your béchamel sauce. Perfect!
Pour the béchamel sauce into the bottom an 8×8 dish. I use the same dish I roasted the zucchini in. Top with 2 lasagna noodles.
I like no-boil, oven ready lasagna noodles. Plus these are perfectly sized for 8×8! Nevermind the weird waves. Not sure what that’s all about.
Top with the zucchini mixture…
2 more lasagna noodles…
And 1 cup of your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce.
Now for the really good stuff. Top with fresh mozzarella. I use smoked mozzarella when I can find it.. It gives the lasagna a wonderful smoky flavor. But… this time I couldn’t find it. I did find these mozzarella pearls though.
Aww. They’re cute.
Cover with foil bake at 400 for 20 mins.
Uncover, add a little more parmesan cheese on top, then bake for an additional 15 mins.
Until it looks like this.
Just look at those beautiful, crispy, golden brown and delicious bubbles of mozzarella.
If you can resist, let stand 10 mins before serving. It’s beautiful, cheesy, gooey and delicious! Enjoy! :)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ cup milk
- Pinch of salt, pepper, & freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt & pepper
- 3 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt & pepper
- 1 cup of your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 3 oz smoked mozzarella cheese
- 4 oven ready (no boil) lasagna noodles
- Dice zucchini, add garlic, coat with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with ½ tsp each salt and pepper. Roast in an 8x8 baking dish at 400 degrees for 15 mins until soft. Leave oven on at 400, and save the 8x8 dish for the lasagna.
- Combine the zucchini, bacon, Parmesan, fontina, egg, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk. Increase the heat to medium-high. Whisk the sauce until it comes to a simmer and is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Whisk a pinch of salt, pepper, and nutmeg into the béchamel sauce.
- Pour the béchamel sauce into the bottom of the 8x8 dish. Top with 2 lasagna noodles, the zucchini mixture, 2 more lasagna noodles, the marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and a little more parmesan cheese to top.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 400 until heated through and the sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until the cheese on top becomes golden, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Follow @kevinandamanda on Instagram and show us what you are making in your kitchen! Use the hashtag #kevinandamanda to show us what you've made from our blog :)