From podcasts to furniture to some amazing funnel cake fries, check out the things I’ve been loving lately! A recipe for a homemade version of these fries will be coming soon too!
Things I’ve Been Loving Lately
An Interesting Podcast
1. We need to talk about Serial. Have you heard of it? It’s a podcast. At first I was skeptical. A podcast? Isn’t that like just listening the radio? How do you even listen to podcasts? I was picturing people in the 40’s sitting around the radio listening to their nightly radio program. But. BUT. My friends Shelly and Kristan said no, you NEED to listen to this podcast. There are only 12 episodes, and they’re about 45 minutes each. It’s about a high school student who was accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend. He was ultimately convicted and sentenced to life in prison.
But there’s all this mystery and intrigue surrounding the case. He has always adamantly insisted he is innocent. There’s suspicion his lawyer may have been corrupt. There’s all this evidence that makes you think he couldn’t have possibly done it… But then… there’s some other evidence that doesn’t look so good for him either. Did he do it?? Has he been wrongly imprisoned?? You’ve got to listen to this podcast and tell me what you think.
If you have an iPhone, it’s already on your phone. Just go to the Podcasts app (already on your phone!) and search for Serial. Under Podcasts click on Serial and then download all 12 episodes. They’re free and they don’t take up much room on your phone. You can even listen to them when your phone is on airplane mode. Play them in your car, while you’re cleaning the house, jogging, whatever!! It’s seriously addictive. They’ll make the time fly by!! And when you’re done, be sure to come back and tell me what you think!! Did he do it??!
Favorite New Foods
2. Last week I got together with the sweetest group of local bloggers. We get together once a month for girl time, blog talk, and chit chat. This month our meet-up was at The Melting Pot!! Oh my gosh, you guys, we had the best time ever!! What could be better than melty cheese and chocolate? :) Since there were so many of us, we basically got to try one of everything. The Quatro cheese was my favorite. And the chocolates?? How could I possibly choose?? We had FIVE pots of decadent chocolate fondue right in front of us. We got Oreo Marshmallow, S’mores, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Mint Chocolate, and even Creme Brulee. The creme brulee wasn’t on the menu, but ask if yours has it!! It was to die for!! I think we need to have our meet-ups there every month. Maybe next month for National Cheese Fondue Day!!
3. Okay, speaking of murder mysteries and intrigue… Are you watching Secrets & Lies?? It has Ryan Phillippe in it, and as a teenager of the 90’s, of course I’m watching it. Who do you think did it?? Do you think it’s someone we’ve already seen? Or do you think it’s someone totally random? They better tell us at the end of this season and not drag it out!!!! It’s killing me!
4. One of our local restaurants has Funnel. Cake. Fries. How fun are these??! :) I posted them on Facebook and Instagram and got so many requests for the recipe. I recreated them at home and I’m sharing the recipe next week!! Be on the lookout! :) So excited to share the fun fries!! :)
5. Do you have a liquid nitrogen ice cream shop near you? We just got one called Subzero. Oh my gosh. We are obsessed with creating our own ice cream, lol! They have like 30 different flavors and you can mix and match as many of them together as you want to create your own ice cream flavor. Like Caramel Mocha, Marshmallow Cake Batter, Peanut Butter & Fudge Chocolate, Raspberry White Chocolate… the options are endless!! THEN you have all the mix-ins of a fro-yo shop. After you’ve got your base flavor, you can add in cookie dough, Oreos, mini peanut butter cups, fresh fruit, sprinkles, they have it all. Then they freeze it right in front of you in seconds. They’ll freeze it to any consistency you like. Hard like ice cream, soft like soft-serve, or anywhere in between. AND YOU GUYS. You can even bring in your OWN flavors and mix-ins and they’ll make it for you!!! I’m seriously thinking of bringing in Nutella and Biscoff. And Thin Mints. What should I have them make??! :)
6. I am seriously, massively, head-over-heels in love with this chair from Dot & Bo. I need a chair in my office, and when I saw this one, I knew it was the one. The color is perfect. The tufts are perfect. Even the wheels are perfect. It’s exactly what I’m looking for. Except it’s TINY. Like, it belongs in a dollhouse, tiny. I measured it, and it must be for a kindergarten classroom. No one over the age of 5 would comfortably fit in this chair. It’s teeny teeny microscopic tiny. I mean it’s almost laughable how tiny this chair is. If you’re looking at this picture on your phone, the chair is probably showing as actual size. I’m heartbroken!! I just want a bigger version of this exact chair!
A Longtime Favorite Book
7. Did you hear about the new Calvin and Hobbes book??! I grew up with Calvin & Hobbes, collected all the books, and read them over and over. There aren’t any new comic strips in the book, but it contains an in-depth interview of Bill Watterson, plus original artwork and commentary. Well worth the $12 for any Calvin & Hobbes fan!
Clothes & Cooking
8. I want this fun summer dress from Old Navy! It looks so comfy and flattering!
9. My kitchen is being featured on the KitchenAid blog today! You can see the pictures here. By the way, have you seen all the fun new KitchenAid Mixer colors??! I want one of each! :)
10. I’m going to a Pampered Chef party tonight! What should I get?? What are some of your favorite Pampered Chef items? Here are some of my must-haves:
You can click on any of the pictures above to see what they are. :)
Have a great weekend!! :)
Did you hear they are coming out with another podcast episode for Serial? http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bal-new-podcast-coming-in-serial-case-20150406-story.html
Just downloading Serial. Can’t wait to listen to it after reading all of the above reviews! Pampered Chef must-have: the green tomato knife (not for green tomatos…ha!!). Cuts through a tomato like a hot knife thru butter. You’ll love it.
I just finished the Serial podcast and it was great. Thanks for recommending it. I am not sure if he did it but I agree with Lucy he is not squeaky clean either. If I had sat on that trial I do not think that I could of found him guilty, there is just to many uncertainties.
Hi Amanda. I listened to all 12 episodes of Serial after I read your post. Hmmm … not sure he did it, but not so sure he’s squeaky clean either. Jay should be in prison with him … I’m glad I’ve never had to sit on a jury!!!
Thank you for the recommendation on Serial. I live in Maryland and I found it very interesting because I know of the landmarks mentioned in the story. I got a couple friends and my husband hooked too. I just finished it and I am so unsure! I really thought she would tie it up in a bow with an explanation of who did it and now I feel unsettled! ahhh!
That chair is the cutest thing ever!! I would still buy it and take it to a furniture shop and have longer legs put on it!!!
Thanks for all the above! I didn’t even phone had podcast. Looking forward to Serial. Thanks for the tip! Love your kitchen, looks awesome!
Ok, everyone has been talking about this podcast Serial. Guess I will now fall into the trap and start listening to them as well, LOL! Some said my son (13 yrs) could listen to some of them, but I should definitely pre-screen them to be on the safe side.
OMG! I used to be sooooo obsessed with everything Pampered Chef and then I moved from that area and kind of forgot about them. I am going to look them up again, because I need some things for my kitchen that will last.
Love this post!! I have all the Pampered Chef items you pictured except the trifle bowl. Of the items you have shown the quick-stir pitcher is a MUST have! I have 2 of the small ones and one of the large. They are great for fruit water – have one in my refrigerator right now filled with water with an entire cut-up gala apple and 3 whole cinnamon sticks in it – just pump the handle a few times and …. YUM!! And I have to agree with some of the other comments – the micro cooker is also a MUST have!! I have 1 large and 2 small of those as well – they are WONDERFUL!!
The Melting Pot was a blast!! Thanks again for all you did to set it up for us! :)
I’ll definitely be on the look out for a chair like that in adult size. lol!! It’s too cute for sure!
AND Cody has been trying to talk me into listening to that Serial podcast for a couple weeks now. I just may have to give it a go!
I was trying to avoid Serial, but I may just have to cave! One of my friends who is super into Podcasts suggested “99% Invisible”. Her description “Lots of great facts and stories about everyday things you did not know the whole story about”. Each episode is 15 minutes, so perfect for adding in here and there.
I LOVE Serial! I started listening to it to get me through the cardio portion of my workout every day. I’m just at the part where she meets Deirdre and her team! Can’t wait to see what happens. :)
I took your suggestion and downloaded Serial a minute ago. This sounds like an interesting diversion for me while I go through my mind-numbing chore of switching out my winter wardrobe for summer frocks! Thanks for the suggestion.
Yes!! It is perfect for chores like that!! :)
Okay, I have lots to say lol! 1. I listened to Serial on Sunday while on a 14 hour road trip so I got to hear the whole thing in one sitting. I went from thinking totally innocent to guilty to complicit/somehow involved. I think he is very well spoken. I think he got really crummy representation and at the very least, deserves a new trial. But I can’t help but think he was somehow involved. I do also think Jay should have done jail time for his involvement. Our legal system makes me crazy!! 2. I have the KitchenAid candy apple red anniversary edition mixer with the glass bowl and while part of me wants a professional mixer at some point, I don’t know that I could ever give up the glass bowl. It’s my favorite! And your kitchen is a dream! 3. I love Pampered Chef! The measure-all cup is my full time peanut butter measuring cup! It’s so much easier than scraping out a regular mixing cup. I also love all of their rubber scrapers, cookie scoops, bamboo spoons, digital timer, food chopper, jar opener and smooth edge can opener. (does it sound like I have an addiction??? lol)
Oh my gosh, YES the smooth edge can opener!! I can’t believe I forgot that in my round-up!! It is for sure one of my most use kitchen tools!! :)
I love Serial. After I listened to all 12 episodes, I found a few podcasts that are about the Serial podcast that were also very interesting (and helped extend the Serial fix):
1) Crime Writers on Serial
2) Slate’s Serial Spoiler Specials
3) The Serial Serial
Ooh, thank you for the suggestions!! I definitely need something to extend the Serial fix! :)
Amanda, I can’t even tell you how much I adore you!!! First, I am LOVING secrets and lies!! I don’t think he did it, but have no idea who did. Can’t wait for the ending! Also- thank you for the Calvin and Hobbes heads up! My husband has every single book, so this will be the perfect addition!
What a sweet surprise, I know he will love it!! :)
Thanks for the heads up on Serial – I will have to listen to it!
as for Secret and Lies – my favorite new show – I think the killer is the autistic boy in the neighborhood!
I was wondering about him!! That’s the crazy thing about this show, it makes you suspect everyone!!
the micro cooker is my all time favorite! inexpensive, and used almost daily at my house too.
I, too, have been watching Secrets & Lies. How amazing is Ryan Phillippe in this show!!!! Juliette Lewis is killing it in her role as the “Unsmiling, Popping up everywhere, I’m gonna get you to confess even if you didn’t do it” cop.
I can’t wait to see who the actual killer is, because as of right now, I have NO CLUE.
She seriously is!! She is so good, I dislike her character sooooooooooo much, lol!!!
You MUST (yes, I capitalized it – that’s how strongly I feel!) get the potato masher from Pampered Chef. I received one as a gift from my mother-in-law and cannot believe how well it works. It sort of looks like a traditional hand held potato masher, but has 3 rings on the bottom that for whatever reason, destroy whatever you’re mashing. You know how eggs bounce out from under your fork when you’re trying to make egg salad? Nuh-uh. Not with this baby! Love it.
Dying to go to Melting Pot now…drool.
Pampered Chef…love the family non-stick skillet (looks like they call it the Executive Cookware 12″ skillet now), the batter bowl, any of the stoneware (we have medium bar pan), the egg separator is handy, as is the Mix ‘N Chop for breaking up ground meat as it browns. So many neat, handy tools for the kitchen and they have great recipes too.
I was listening to the last 20 minutes of episode 12 when I opened your email! I LOVE THIS PODCAST! I am obsessed and no one I know will listen! I have begged my mom and husband, they think I am crazy, so I am so happy to have read your post today! At first I was convinced he was innocent, then started wavering to guilty, then back to innocent, but with the evidence they presented in the last episode, I have no idea! Dana is right, if he is innocent, man he had some really crummy luck that day. I do believe that he should receive another trial with all the evidence and statements that weren’t presented the first time. I don’t think he received a fair trial, and as US citizen he definitely deserves that. I know there will be a season 2, I am going to assume it will be another case . . . I can’t wait to be obsessed with this one as well!
I know, I’m the same way!! I just don’t knowwwwwwwwww!! Lol!!
I jumped on board the Serial bandwagon a few weeks ago, and I was hooked. I almost want to listen to them all over again and pay more attention to things I may have missed. I think it’s so interesting because there’s still so much we don’t know! I’m not 100% sure if he’s innocent, but I absolutely think he should have been acquitted. There’s just not enough evidence to convince me beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it. Did you see that he may be getting a chance to appeal?? So fascinating!
I definitely want to listen to them again! We have a long road trip coming up next month, and I’m actually looking forward to it because I can listen to the whole series again, lol!
I love the potato peeler, kitchen knives (ours are green), the ultimate brownie spatula (I call it that) and this scraper that we use to frost, spread and scrape!!!!
I love that mini serving spatula! It is the best for brownies! :) I have the metal one, but I think I’ll get the nylon one tonight. :)
You are cracking me up about that chair! Maybe just get it to look at? Or, as a very expensive bed for the dogs? I would totally get one for Parker but it’s a bit on the feminine side. National Cheese Fondue Day? Yes, please. I will totally make another Melting Pot trip!! Can’t wait to see your funnel cake fry recipe :)
I am going to pick my daughter up for spring break today & was bumming that I hadn’t gotten an audio book. I have heard about Serial, and I DO have an iPhone, so guess what! Downloaded! Thank you so much! This was very timely.
Love Pampered Chef – my must have from them is the Small Micro Cooker. I use it almost every day – oatmeal for breakfast and frozen veggies for dinner. It also works great to melt butter in the microwave. Have fun at the party.
OMG I lOVE SERIAL! haha! listened to the whole series while running (and sometimes at home when cleaning etc)…was all done in less than a week! Found so many other good ones too! Since I’ve been hooked on podcasts I don’t listen to music at all when I run!
What are some other ones you’ve loved, Elle?? :) I’m looking for more since I finished Serial!! :)
How to be a girl, The food chain, Criminal, TEDTalks, Comedy of the week, Life of the law and the Truth are some of my current favourites!