This delicious, incredibly cheesy dish is another one of our favorite weeknight dinners. It’s beefy, hearty and whips up in less than 20 minutes. Hope you love this one as much as we do!
Start with one pound of lean hamburger meat, browned and drained.
Add a package of taco seasoning.
And one can of this. The good stuff.
You don’t even have to bother to drain it!
Gosh, I really like Rotel.
Add two cups of beef broth.
(You can also just use water if you want.)
And one cup of elbow macaroni. You’ll be glad you did.
By the way, I’ve tried other shapes of pasta in this recipe, and none of them seem to work as well as good old macaroni. Gotta love it.
Stir to combine, and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 12-14 minutes until the macaroni is tender.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add 2 tablespoons of flour.
Whisk to combine, and continue to cook, whisking until the roux is fragrant and light brown in color, about 5 minutes.
Whisk in 3/4 cup of milk.
And bring the sauce to a boil. Whisk until smooth and thickened.
Remove the saucepan from the heat, and add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
Whisk until melted. Heaven help me.
Now one last step for the sauce, this stuff needs some seasoning! Add 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. I love this seasoned salt and pepper.
Here’s what your hamburger and noodles should look like after 12-14 minutes. Don’t worry if there’s still some beef broth in there. You may want to taste test a noodle for doneness at this point.
If you like it, go ahead and pour in the cheese sauce and stir gently to combine.
Glorious! Beef. Cheese. Rotel. Taco seasoning. Does it get any better than this? Enjoy!
- 1 pound lean hamburger meat
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies (or petite diced tomatoes)
- 2 cups beef broth (or water)
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Brown and drain hamburger meat. Stir in taco seasoning, Rotel, beef broth, and macaroni. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cover pan. Simmer 12-14 mins until macaroni is tender.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking for 5 minutes until fragrant and light brown in color. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Whisk until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Add the salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the hamburger mixture. Stir gently to combine.