- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 whole onion)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 oz ham, diced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- (9 oz) tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup baby sweet peas, frozen
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Swiss, White Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack)
- Melt the butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and golden brown. Add the ham and and continue to cook until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, tortellini, and plenty of salt and pepper to taste. I use 1/2 teaspoon each. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil. Cover, then reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes until the tortellini is tender.
- Stir in the peas and cream. Off heat, then stir in 1/2 cup cheese until well combined. Top with remaining cheese, then place under the broiler in the oven until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Enjoy!
Keywords: tortellini recipes, cheese tortellini, tortellini pasta, cheese tortellini recipes