These Halloween Macarons are so cute, festive and even more delicious! They’re the perfect treats for any Halloween party. Make them into your favorite spooky characters!
- 90 grams aged egg whites
- 110 grams almond flour
- 200 grams powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 25 grams white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder or powdered food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 teaspoons Tahitian vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup (10 tbsp) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa)
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Macaron Shells
- Up to 5 days before making macarons, separate the egg whites, cover loosely with a paper towel, and store in the refrigerator. The night before making macarons, set them out on the counter to come to room temperature.
- Place almond flour, powdered sugar, and the contents of a vanilla bean into a food processor and process until fully combined. Move to a large bowl and whisk in one teaspoon of cocoa powder for chocolate macarons, or one teaspoon of powdered food coloring for colored macarons. Leave plain for vanilla macarons. Whisk to combine, then sift and set aside.
- With a mixer, whisk the egg whites on medium-high speed until foamy. Add in granulated sugar and continue whisking until the the egg whites have stiff peaks.
- Add the egg whites to the flour and fold to incorporate until the mixture is just smooth, using no more than 50 strokes.
- Fit a pastry bag with a large round tip, and fill with macaron batter. Pipe approximately 1-inch circles onto a baking sheet lined parchment paper.
- Let the batter rest on the pan at least 30 minutes before baking, to form a strong skin to help keep the macarons from cracking in the oven.
- Bake the macarons at 280 degrees F for 15-20 minutes directly in the middle of the oven. To test for doneness, gently touch the top of a macaron to make sure it’s dry. Then gently try to lift the macaron from the parchment paper. If it comes away pretty easily, they’re done. If it doesn’t come up and the top breaks away, they need to cook longer. Keep checking on them every two minutes until the bottom is dry. Once removed from the oven, allow the macarons to rest on the pan for 10 minutes to finish cooking before trying to remove. Cool completely before frosting.
For the Vanilla Buttercream
Place the butter, sugar, milk and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.
For the Chocolate Buttercream
Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Allow to cool for 5-10 mins. Meanwhile, combine butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a food processor and process until smooth. Scrape the bowl as needed. Add the corn syrup and vanilla and process until just combined. Add the melted chocolate and process until smooth and creamy.
Keywords: French macarons recipe, easy macarons recipe, chocolate macarons recipe, halloween dessert, halloween dessert recipe, how to make macarons, how to make macarons french, homemade macarons, halloween dessert idea