If you like broccoli & cheese soup, you will LOVE this Cheesy Chicken Rice with Broccoli and Bacon! It’s like chicken and rice casserole made in a skillet.
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 12 oz (about 4 cups) broccoli florets, roughly chopped into small, bite-sized pieces
- 2–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (10-oz) cans Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
For the rice
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth (or milk)
- 1 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- Add the diced bacon to a very large skillet or dutch oven and turn heat to medium high. Cook the bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, dice the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
- When the bacon is crisp, use a slotted spoon to remove to a plate. If needed to grease the bottom of the pan, add butter and olive oil to the skillet. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for five minutes, flipping once halfway through. Remove the chicken to the plate with the bacon.
For the rice
- Add the rice, water, and salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 14 minutes. When done, remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, add the onion and broccoli to the skillet where you cooked the bacon and chicken. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until broccoli is tender and onions are brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add in minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Top with tomatoes, rice, chicken and bacon and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
For the sauce
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and whisk in the flour until just combined. Add in the chicken broth and stir well. Increase heat to high and cook until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and add in cheese and salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted, then pour in the skillet with the chicken and rice. Stir to combine and serve.
Keywords: chicken and rice recipe, chicken and rice casserole recipe, easy chicken and rice recipe, broccoli rice recipe, broccoli rice casserole, broccoli rice chicken casserole, broccoli rice cheese casserole, broccoli rice and cheese casserole, broccoli rice and chicken casserole