Peas, Ham, and Creamy Noodles
This simple recipe is so easy and so delicious. We love this around here! You don’t even have to cook the noodles first, which makes this one of our favorite, easy weeknight dinners. It’s creamy, flavorful, and you can get it on the table in 15 minutes or less. Perfect for busy weeknights!
Here’s all you’ll need to make it. Egg noodles cook super fast, allowing you to get this on the table even faster. Frozen diced onions and peas are a huge time saver and make it easy to keep the ingredients for this dinner always on hand. And there’s not too much lemon juice in this recipe, so no need for a real lemon here. Feel free to use the bottled stuff!
This recipe is perfect for leftover ham, especially if you’re planning on having a ham for Christmas! Or you can grab some ham from the deli, just make sure you get something that sounds really delicious, like this Maple-Glazed Brown Sugar Honey Ham, lol! Also ask them to slice it really thick for dicing, so you have nice, bite-sized chunks of ham.
I have also used a rotisserie chicken here (or cooked, chopped chicken breasts) in place of the ham. Whatever you have on hand works great!
To make, add some butter to a large, 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
Once the butter has melted and is just starting to turn brown, add the diced onions.
Cook onions until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, half-and-half, and noodles to the skillet and bring to a boil.
Add the diced ham and stir to combine.
Then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the noodles are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Now check your cream sauce. If it isn’t thick enough at this point, we can fix that right now.
Simply stir together one tablespoon of cornstarch with three tablespoons of cold water with a fork. You can use the same measuring cup from the broth and half-and-half. Pour into the sauce and it will thicken immediately.
See? It’s already starting to bubble and thicken! Add plenty of salt and pepper to taste (I use 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper), then stir to combine.
Next add the frozen peas and splash of lemon juice and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Creamy, easy, and delicious! That’s all you do! :)
Hope you enjoy! :)
Peas, Ham, and Creamy Noodles
Yield: 4 servings.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 pound cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions until golden brown, about 5 mins.
- Add broth, half-and-half, and noodles to skillet and bring to a boil. Add diced ham, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until noodles are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- If your cream sauce is not thick enough, stir together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of cold water. Pour into skillet. Season with plenty of salt and pepper, then stir to combine. Sauce should thicken immediately. Add peas and lemon juice to skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve and enjoy!