So excited to share this fabulous Jambalaya Pasta recipe with you today!! It’s seriously so good! It has all our favorites. Chicken, smoked sausage, cheesy pasta… What could be better?? :) This is a whole meal in one pan.
This is another one of our famous One Pot Dinners. Everything cooks in one pan (even the pasta!) so you only have one dish to wash at the end of the night. I love recipes that are easy. I love recipes that are good. But the best kind of recipe is when they’re BOTH. Just like this Jambalaya Pasta! Make this for dinner ASAP!!
Here’s all you need: boneless, skinless chicken breasts, smoked sausage (I use smoked turkey sausage), pasta, garlic, onion, bell peppers, chicken broth, cream, shredded cheese, and scallions.
Start by heating 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
When the oil is very hot, add the smoked sausage, chicken, onion, and bell peppers.
Season generously with cajun or creole seasoning.
There are several good brands (Zatarain’s, Slap Yo’ Mama) but today I used Tony Chachere’s, because it’s the first one I grabbed out of the pantry. :)
Cook the meat and veggies, stirring occasionally, until edges are browned. Add the garlic and stir to combine until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add broth, cream, pasta, and more cajun seasoning to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
Most of the liquid should be absorbed, like above. If not, you may need to increase the heat and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Evenly distribute an additional 1/2 cup cheese over the top and sprinkle with scallions. Place under the broiler in your oven and broil until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Like so. Like a good jambalaya should, the pasta has taken on a distinct golden brown color and flavor that seriously sends this recipe over the top.
Heaven help me.
We seriously went nuts over this pasta! So, so good! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!
Yield: 4 servings.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 whole onion)
- 2 cups diced bell peppers (about 3 bell peppers, I like to use 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green)
- cajun or creole seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz (about 3 cups) penne pasta
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until it just starts to smoke. Add sausage, chicken, onions, and bell peppers. Season with cajun seasoning (about 1-2 teaspoons). Cook until lightly browned. Add garlic stir to combine until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, cream, pasta, and more cajun seasoning to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then cover skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, golden brown, and bubbly.