Oh my gosh you guys, you HAVE make this new Cheeseburger Gnocchi recipe for dinner tonight!! First of all, let’s talk about gnocchi. Gnocchi are pillowy soft mini potato dumplings. You could toast them, toss them with butter and herbs, and they’d make a great snack all on their own. Heck, they’re so good you could make a meal of out them! So naturally, I sent these decadent bites of heaven OVER THE TOP and simmered them with seasoned beef, spicy tomatoes, and gooey, melty cheese.
It’s like a cheeseburger pasta with a buttery, toasted potato bun. So basically the best thing ever!!!!
Here’s all you’ll need. Just a few simple ingredients! You can find gnocchi on the pasta aisle. We love the DeLallo brand.
Start by melting some butter in a large skillet.
We’re going to start with toasting the gnocchi, because everyone knows the best burgers have toasted buns. Toss the gnocchi in the hot skillet for about 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy. See what I mean about these little pillows from heaven?? You could seriously just eat these as a meal!
Remove the gnocchi to a plate, crank the heat up to high, and when the pan is very hot and smoking, add in the ground beef, onion, garlic and seasonings. I use salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. Mustard powder would be fabulous here also if you’re into that sort of thing! This is Cheeseburger Gnocchi after all. :)
Cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned. Drain if necessary.
Next add the tomatoes and broth. You could definitely use water here instead, the broth just gives it a little extra flavor.
Then add the gnocchi back in and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 5 minutes until the gnocchi is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
When the gnocchi is tender turn off the heat, then add the cream and cheese and stir to combine.
Top with a little more cheese and chopped scallions. You could also use pickles or capers to give it an extra cheeseburger flavor. :)
Broil in the oven until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
This is so, so good. Seasoned beef. Spicy tomatoes. Gooey cheese. Toasted potato dumplings. Does it seriously get any better than this??! :) Hope you enjoy!! :)
Yield: 4 servings.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (16 oz) package potato gnocchi
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (optional)
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 whole onion)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10-oz) can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- 1 cup beef broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add gnocchi in a single layer and cook on one side for 2-3 minutes until browned and toasted. Shake the pan to toss the gnocchi and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, tossing occasionally, until both sides are toasted. Remove gnocchi to a plate and set aside.
- Turn the heat to high and return skillet to stove. When the pan is very hot and smoking, add the beef and season with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and mustard powder if desired. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and onions are golden. Drain if necessary.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and gnocchi back into the skillet. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes until the gnocchi is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Off heat, then add the cream and 1/2 cup cheese and stir to combine. Top with remaining cheese and scallions. Place the skillet under the broiler in the oven until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!! :)