Brown Butter Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies
I am so excited to be teaming up with Nestle today to share this fun new cookie recipe. It is one of my new favorites! The idea for this cookie has been rolling around in my head for a few months now. I wanted to create cookie that was a combination of all my favorite flavors. Coffee and caramel is one of my absolute favorite flavor combos. If you haven’t tried my Caramel Toffee Latte Cupcakes, they are an absolute must!! :) I also added chunks of Nestle’s semi-sweet chocolate because coffee, caramel, and chocolate is always a good idea. Oh, by the way, there’s also a giveaway at the end of this post with some really fun, rare Nestle items. Definitely worth checking out!
These cookies are sent absolutely over the top with the addition of brown butter. You guys know how much I love brown butter! I am obsessed with brown butter cookies, and I pretty much make all my cookies with brown butter now. It adds a completely melt-in-your-mouth texture and that “secret ingredient” flavor that makes these cookies decadently bold, rich, and ultra flavorful. Everyone always asks me what my secret is! :) It’s one of those flavors you can’t quite put your finger on the taste, but you know it is to die for. :) If you’ve never made cookies with brown butter before, hold on… and get ready to get hooked! :)
Here’s what you’ll need to make these cookies: butter, sugar, dark brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, all-purpose flour, baking soda, Nestle chocolate chunks, caramels, instant coffee, and coarse sea salt for sprinkling.
You can use the unwrapped caramel bits or caramel squares. If you use the squares, you may want to chop them a bit. I find this easier if they have been frozen for a few minutes first.
For the instant coffee, I used Nescafe Hazelnut. Hazelnut is another one of my favorite flavors, so I of course wanted to incorporate it into these cookies. :) They also have vanilla which I think would be fabulous. These instant coffee packs are great for baking. Try adding a packet to brownies or a chocolate cake mix to intensify the chocolate flavor. Love using this simple trick.
To make these cookies, begin by melting the butter over medium to medium-high heat.
When it melts, it will start to bubble…
And after a few minutes it will start to foam. When it gets to this stage, start whisking constantly.
It will quickly turn brown, have a wonderfully nutty aroma, and you’ll see little brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
At this point immediately remove from the heat and pour into a mixing bowl. Set aside and let cool.
Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt with two tablespoons instant coffee. That’s exactly six of the Nescafe Taster’s Choice Single Serve packets.
Add the sugars to the brown butter, which should have cooled off by now, and beat with an electric mixer until well combined, about 3-5 minutes.
While that’s going on, I like to get my eggs and vanilla ready to add. This recipe calls for one egg and one egg yolk. The extra egg yolk makes them super rich and helps them stay moist.
Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for another two minutes.
Until you have this situation going on.
Add the flour and coffee mixture and beat on low speed until just combined. How beautiful does this coffee-flecked dough look??!
Add the caramels and chocolate chunks and stir until just combined.
Cookie dough perfection!!
I love sprinkling a touch of salt over my chocolate chip cookies right when they come out of the oven. It just gives them a little something extra and enhances all the other flavors. I’m using this Fleur De Sel finishing salt I got on Amazon. You can also just use kosher salt.
Rich, hazelnut mocha, salty caramel, and a fresh-from-the-oven cookie.
It doesn’t get much better than this! :)
I love these cookies because there’s something chewy and fabulous in every bite!
Brown Butter Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies
- 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
- 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup caramel bits
- 3/4 cup Nestle Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter starts to foam, begin whisking constantly. When the butter turns brown, fragrant, and you see little brown bits at the bottom of the pan, immediately remove from heat and and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, coffee, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until well combined, about 3-5 minutes. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low-speed just until combined. Add the caramels and chocolate chunks and stir until just combined.
- Use a medium (1.5 tbsp) cookie scoop to place dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes until edges just start to turn golden brown. Sprinkle with sea salt. Cool on a wire rack.